Shhh. Smell something?

I sure did as I was confronted with a wall of odors coming from my now 4 day 'powerless' vacant home. 4 days. Not that bad - you would think. Oh, it was THAT bad. Before I go any further, I should say that our power is now back on. Yay. We are home. :) 


Our dear cats did actually keep to the litter box this time, but considering we have three of them and that is the first thing you smell when you walk in the door, it's a little overwhelming. Don't worry, it gets better. As you walk through the small hot (because the ac has not been on) entrance into the kitchen the odor slowly changes from cat mess into a less distinctive but just as horrible raw almost tangy smell. Like that description? I thought you would. If you haven't guessed it yet, that would be my entire refrigerator and freezer storing thawed meat, condiments, milk, etc. Out of everything in my refrigerator I get to keep a box of waffles. That's all. The smell has wafted through the entire downstairs mingling with staleness. But wait. There's something else. Something.... even worse. Something.... indescribable. I search it out. What is that??? Then I find it and instantly wished I hadn't. Maggots. Yup. In a practically empty closed trash can. How'd they get in there? No idea. But they were there. So now I had to stop everything else I was doing to clean that out. Gloves: check. Copious amounts of bleach: check. Hose: check. Okay, that chore is done. Onto bigger and better things. 


I don't want this to sound like I'm not thankful, at least for a few things. 1) Our power has been restored. Thank you Jesus! 2) Everyone is back in their own element which always bodes well for the kids. 3) It was nice enough outside to keep doors and windows open to let everything air out. 4) God always provides. We had a place to stay and we were all together.


There's still a lot of catching up work to be done before we can fully get back to normal but that's okay. Comes with the territory. It wasn't the best welcome home but not the worst either. In parting, remember: there is no Dana. There is only Zuul.     

Comments

  1. Oh man... that is terrible! yuck yuck yuck! Glad you are all safe and sound though :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment