Tis the Season...

...to be busy. Wait, that's not right.

...to be stressed? 

This Christmas season is so short. I feel like I've been going since the day before Thanksgiving and I haven't stopped yet. And these stinking nurses are about to ruin my Christmas spirit. 

Could I share a short and sweet nursing story with you? Okay, well I would if I had one. But, lo and behold, I don't. Surprise, surprise. You don't have to feel obligated to read, you really don't. But these stories just keep getting more and more unbelievable that it's hard not to share out of sheer amazement.

One of our wonderful consistent nurses (we have 2 wonderful consistent nurses) is on vacay. Not really - she's on a mission's trip to Nigeria, but whatever. (If its not your home I consider it vacation unless you're on active duty. That's just the way it is.) She is out until the end of January which I'm sure I have shared in prior posts. I think. Anyway, she is gone. Which leaves us short. So here are the fun situations we have found ourselves in.

Numero Uno:
Sunday night *technically Monday morning*12:30am (under the assumption my nurse is coming because no one has called to say different) calling the company to find out where my nurse is. 12:45am them calling me back after needing to find her and telling me that she is a no call/no show. Awesome. Thanks for that. 

This is after not having a nurse Thanksgiving night- which I knew was happening so that was fine. Everybody needs a night off once in a while. But twice in just a few days of each other always stinks, especially unannounced. 

Numero dos:
We are told we are having a new nurse come for the day. It was expressly stressed to us that he would be here an hour early for orientation. A half an hour after he's supposed to be here I call to find out where he is. "Stuck in traffic" they say. Like always. "But he'll be there in 15 minutes, he's on the Bay Bridge." 

Uhh... unless something drastic has happened with geography there is NO WAY you're going to be at my house in 15 minutes if you're on the bridge. An hour and forty minutes after he's supposed to be here he shows up. He just walks in like it's no problem. "Um.... you were supposed to be here at 9am. It's 10:40. What happened?" To which of course he answers a bunch of mumbo jumbo and traffic and Easton and GPS and blah blah blah. Finally, FINALLY, after several minutes he admits to plain and simply just not wanting to come for orientation. Apparently the fact that he's been doing home health for a long time is supposed to make me instantaneously comfortable with him caring for my son. Not to mention the fact that even if he wasn't supposed to be here for orientation he would still have been 40 minutes late! 

We had plans for the day that totally had to be changed, and even though he's 'super nurse' we stayed around for an hour orienting him!! (50% of the time was taken up with HIM asking us questions.) Hence the reason he should have come for orientation!!!!! 

So despite a few qualms and with much urging to call us and programming our numbers into his phone, we head into town to accomplish a few things but decided to stay close to home in case anything happened. After a few hours we head home early. As we neared the house I got more and more anxious with that feeling in the pit of my stomach that I did not like this man. 

Thankfully, Theodore appeared fine and no worse for the wear but that feeling didn't wane. We decide to send the nurse home early. Thank you, please never come back. We are sending him home 2 hours early and when we go to sign his time sheet he claimed the amount of time he was supposed to be there - 10 hours, not the 7 1/2 he actually worked. This guy is honest to the core. Yes, please come into my home and watch my disabled child again. I think not. He does eventually change the time sheet at our request but then asks some sketchy questions about what kind of insurance we have and it just got weirder by the minute.

When I call the next day to say we would not like to have him back they had nothing to say. In fact, they almost seemed bothered that I dare say he lied. It was a mess.

So now I'm here at another Sunday night and am 99% certain I am nurse-less once again. I'm not even sure that we'll have any day time nursing anytime soon. It's a good thing I love this kid.

But, hey, tis the season, right?? I'm hoping the cheer and joy and jolly-ness come and stay before Christmas has come and gone.   

  
      

Comments