It finally happened.

Everyone said it would happen.

Everyone warned me.

They said it happens to everyone. And I believed them. I really did but I started thinking at this point we had a system that worked and maybe we would skate through unnoticed.

And then it happened. His trach fell out.

His trach fell out!

Of his throat!!!

He didn't even pull it out it just fell out! The velcro in the back of his trach ties somehow came unattached and out it came. I have done innumerable trach changes, but those are planned. Those are nothing like looking over because he's coughing and seeing the trach and ties hanging to the side. 

*shivers*

Thankfully, because people had warned me, I was mentally prepared. I had run through over and over again in my mind what to do in that situation but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have a serious case of the shivers immediately following. Thankfully it went right back in with no issues. I don't even think he desated.

I also don't think I'll ever trust trach ties again. I've already checked his new ones at least 5 times in the last 15 minutes just to be sure it's all still working.       

And that's my story for the day. Hopefully never to be repeated. 

Comments

  1. Way to totally not cave under pressure. Theodore is so lucky to have you for a momma. I am glad the Trach went back in so smoothly. What a way to have a day start. Hopefully, like you said,this is a one time only incident. Sarah Bruns

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment