A handy how NOT to...

'How not to screw up a good thing.'

When you notice that something has or has not occured for a period of time DON'T, I repeat, DON'T speak it. Do not breathe it into existence. I can assure you that whatever it is you speak of will undoubtedly come to be. For example:

My bursitis hasn't flared up in 7 years.

or

The cat hasn't puked on the carpet for a few days.

or

I haven't seen a Captain Planet cartoon since I was a kid. (I have to admit that this one would be awesome.)

or, in our most recent case


We've had a nurse every night for the past month and 22 days. 


Now, I don't believe in Karma or jinxing things, but I really find it un-freaking-canny when this happens. If you've read this blog long enough then you'll know this isn't the first time something like this has happened. And you're probably thinking, 'How has she not learned her lesson yet?' I don't know. I wish I had a better answer. I'm either an optimist or really really stupid. But as I'm sure you have picked up on by now, we went without a nurse last night. And of course, I find out she's not coming at 5pm so I had plenty of time to prepare myself. Wait, no, that doesn't seem right... Oh yeah, that's because I found out at 1am!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! And I didn't even find out because they called me, mind you. I had to call them. 


I must stop here to say that it wasn't the nurses fault. She was rear ended on her way to our house. She had to be taken to the ER for xrays and what not. But here's the kicker - even though she had been in this accident, she still called the nursing company to let them know that she obviously wouldn't be in. Their excuse for not calling me - the nurse didn't call the right number. I don't even have the desire to get into whether or not that was actually the case, but let's just say that this isn't the first time communication issues have been to the fault of the company and not the nurse. AND the accident happened at around 11 - so even though we could not have known any earlier in the day to prepare, I still could have known 2 hours earlier than I did and immediately gone to sleep. Rambo usually does his best sleeping in the first half of the night. The second half consists of violent coughing and fussing and rolling around. 


Right now I am running off of caffeine and chocolate. 


So the next time you're tempted to point something out; to bring to life something that could potentially make you miserable if the opposite happened, don't. Don't do it. Remember me and just say no.

 

Comments

  1. Nooooooo! not even funny! I will keep in mind your advice and not even dare to think the unthinkable ! So sorry u were not able to be in your own bed last night . Asking God to give you His energy! XOXO M.<><

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment